Mother’s Day is next weekend – if you haven’t ordered your flowers or picked out a gift, now is the time to get on it! (I recently ran across this site which looks like a great new option for ordering flowers…) My mom is lucky enough to have a birthday that usually falls right around Mother’s Day (Happy almost Birthday Mom!!) so she gets double the cards and double the presents. Unfortunately I won’t be able to be with her on Mother’s Day, but if I was, I would definitely make her breakfast. I’m obviously a huge fan of breakfast, things like waffles and pancakes and, well… bigger pancakes… and I ran across a waffle recipe a few years ago in Self Magazine that is perfect for Mother’s Day Brunch. It’s full of healthy ingredients like rolled oats, mashed bananas, and whole wheat flour. They’re pretty healthy, but they don’t taste healthy. They just taste delicious.
If, like me, you can’t be around to make your mom a big stack of waffles, there are a ton of great options for sending something fun her way. I recently discovered 11 Main, and I’m loving some of their Mother’s Day ideas. And if you use the coupon code LOVEMOM, you can get $15 off of $75 or $50 off of $200. Here are a few of my favorite gifts for mom:
One. Summer is full of color and flowers and so are these adorable Vans slip-ons. Two. Help her relax with this rose-scented bath foam. Three. If she’s not into floral scents, these lemon ginger bath salts should do the trick. Four. This great waxed denim apron is perfect for the kitchen or the garden. Five. Class up her coffee routine with these great double-walled coffee cups. Six. A fresh new set of eco-friendly natural bamboo cutting boards is always a great option for the chef who has everything.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1½ cup skim milk or almond milk
- ½ cup mashed bananas
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- To serve: strawberries or other berries, toasted sliced almonds, maple syrup
- Grind the rolled oats in a blender or a coffee grinder.
- Combine the ground rolled oats, whole wheat flour, flax, baking powder and spices in a large bowl. Blend well with a whisk.
- In another bowl, mix the egg yolks, milk, banana, and oil.
- In a third bowl, beat the egg whites for 1-2 minutes until stiff peaks form.
- Mix the egg yolk mixture into the dry ingredients. Gently fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Cook in a waffle iron, according to your waffle iron directions. You'll want somewhere between ⅓ - ⅔ cup of batter in each waffle.
- Top with toasted almonds, berries, and maple syrup.
Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms out there (especially the two I call mom!) and Happy almost Birthday to my mom!!
This post was sponsored by 11 Main but all the items were chosen by me!