Garlic Herb Chicken with White Wine, Butter, and Spinach
I love cooking things from scratch. There's something about starting with a bunch of random ingredients and ending with a delicious meal that makes me so happy. But sometimes we're short on time or I'm just feeling lazy and I'll pull out a few shortcuts. Shortcuts like a rotisserie chicken or ..if we're being totally honest.. a frozen pizza. Fancy frozen pizzas..but still, frozen pizzas. Recently I found a new option for those nights when I'm feeling too lazy to do much in the kitchen. Simply Organic sent me a whole box of their Steam Gourmet parchment and seasoning kits, and we've been loving them. Here's the one we used for this recipe:We tried out two of the flavors last week (the sesame ginger salmon and the garlic herb chicken) and we were super impressed. They were quick, easy to clean up since you can just chuck the parchment in the trash, and they tasted great. The basic premise of the product is to season your meat (or veggie) and then steam it in the oven using parchment paper. I've used this method a few times before and it always turns out really well. This time was no different.When you steam chicken in parchment paper, you keep a lot of the moisture in the meat, so you end up with really tender chicken. The only thing I thought it needed was some sauce, so I cooked up a little sauce of white wine, butter (just a smidge), and spinach to pour over the chicken. With some couscous and a salad, we had a complete meal in about 30 minutes. Each package contains enough spices and parchment for two meals, and we managed to eat both of the garlic herb chicken packets already because they were so good...and so easy. If you want to check out my recipe (and vote for it!), you can find it here. They also have some other great ideas for using the other flavor kits on their Pinterest board.
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 1 box Garlic Herb Steam Gourmet Package
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup thyme, chopped
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp minced shallots
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- Salt & Pepper
- Follow directions on the Simply Organic Steam Gourmet Package to season and get your chicken in the oven
- While your chicken steams in the oven, put 1 Tbsp of butter in a saucepan over medium heat. When it's hot, add the thyme, garlic, and shallots to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in 1 cup of dry white wine and allow the sauce to gently simmer for 5-10 minutes. Once the sauce has reduced by about half, add in the other Tbsp of butter and 2-3 Tbsp of olive oil. Swirl to incorporate.
- Add in the spinach and mix until wilted. Season with salt and pepper and serve over chicken on a bed of couscous.
You should be able to find the parchment kits in your local stores, and you can find coupons for them here. I totally recommend trying them, as it's a great last minute resource to keep in your pantry for those nights when you don't want to put a lot of effort into cooking.